Been poking around with races--here are my findings...

lib/races is "authoratitive" in that it will reset any race it disagrees
with.

I've gone through and modified ALL the monster arcs so that their race field
agrees with lib/races.

lib/races has other functions though.
Apparently, it creates a datastructure such that a monster could
be in two or more categories.  The datastructure is also searched
for summoning spells, apparently.

It is also used, I think by the religion code.

Anyone wanting to change the races around will have to deal with
all these issues.

PeterM