Re: crossfire problems

Walter Misar wrote:

> I tried the newest snapshot (7.2.) from
> http://langmuir.eecs.berkeley.edu/pub/peterm, and configure dies with
> test: argument expected. The Problem are lines like:
> if eval "test -z $FOO"; then
>
> This fails if $FOO isn't set. What's the purpose of the eval there ?

 More precisely, it fails on some OS's, like solaris.  Other OS's (or more
precisely, shells), will take that just fine.

 The purpose of that check is to see if $FOO has been set to anything or not.
There are other ways to do similar checks.  If you look at the configure.in, I
think the reason behind those checks is pretty sane.

> Deleting the eval, removing the global quoting and induvidually quoting
> the variables should be fine. Probably all those occurences of eval
> in configure.in should be deleted - since I don't want to go through
> the trouble of installing automake, etc, my diff is against the
> configure Script, and probably only useful as an illustration.

 I've taken your diff, and basically did the same thing to the configure.in and
have checked it into CVS.  There was one other bug in that it was checking for
$BZIP2 and not $BZIP (former not used anyplace in the config.in), so that check
would always fail.  Not a big deal, as it would only be relevant if the user had
bzip2 installed but not compress and gzip, and even then, it just prints out an
informative message.

> The second diff (of server/skill_util.c) is just a typo fix
> (unweild -> unwield).

 Also taken and commited to the CVS tree.

> Third, crossedit cores on me (solaris 7), I'll look into the Probelm
> if I can find the source of the problem (the server runs without problems),
> crossedit of 0.95.4 cored too.

 crossedit uses a lot of the misc X11 libraries, so it could be some link
problem/order of the link there.