CF: Altars, was Re:

Jan Echternach wrote:
> There are many altars on the maps that don't look like altars.  For example,
> it is not a good idea to pray over a gold floor ("You pray over the drop
> 10 gold coins of Ruggilli." (sic!)).  Furthermore, some "Altar
> of Mostrai" is actually an "Altar of Mostrai of Sorig" and Mostrai gets
> very angry when praying at that altar.  The real fix would be to change
> the archetypes on the maps such that only real altars are altars and not
> every item trigger.  And an "Altar of Mostrai" should always be "of
> Mostrai" (and not have it's name changed to "Altar of Mostrai of Mostrai").

 Yes - this should be done now.  The consecration of generic altars (which
before the addition of gods has no meaning other than sacrifice points) was to
increase the number of places you could pray and become a follower.  In a sense,
it was an easier way to go about it than make the necessary maps.

 Since them, I believe maps for all the gods have been made and linked in to at
least the starting city - that is enough to at least follow whoever you want.

 What probably needs to be done:
 1) Make a new item type (shrine?), and perhaps rename the existing one
(sacrificial_altar of the like) and remove the multiple means they can have.
 2) the sacrificial_altars can not be prayed over (any more than you can pray
over a bush), nor do they become aligned to a god.  The only thing they do is
take something and do something in return.
 3) the shrines can become consecrated.  Generic shrines should be allowed, and
players can consecrate them (or they become randomly consecrated - perhaps by
using the auto_apply flag?) - this is more for map designers to plant in
dungeons or the like.

 That at least is the history behind why altars (and hence gold floors and other
things) work in the strange way you described.