RE: CF: Long term experimental ideas

-----Original Message-----
From: Hwei Sheng TEOH
To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Sent: 9/16/99 5:44 PM
Subject: RE: CF: Long term experimental ideas

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, dragonm wrote:

[snip]
> Tell it, brotha'!  :)  The same "ranking system", as you call it,
occured to
> me.  Am I correct in assuming you're not a programmer?

Excuse me?! Programming is my way of killing time. One of my programs
was actually sold in a bookstore. And right now I'm programming for a
website project... I guess I don't normally "sound" as a programmer, huh?
:-)
-----Begin Response-----
Oops.  I stand corrected.  But no, you don't sound like one, typically.  :)
----------
>  If not, how about we make that your task.  Go through all of the
available
> creatures, and map out promotion ramps.  I.e. Beholder to Dread, Demon
> Greater Demon, etc.

Hmm, one thing about this promotion ramp business... if we allow things
like getting from "tiny" demon to big demon to greater demon, people might
start not liking the humanoid races, since there is no similar "ego boost"
when your character gets promoted to have a different look. I guess we'll
need ramps for humanoid players as well...
-----Begin Response-----
Yeah, as I said later in the mail, the humanoid races would definitely have
to be looked at.
----------
>  See if you can make three stage ramps.  If such isn't available,
(like,
> there are only baby electric dragons and mature electric dragons),
start
> filling in new intermediate stages, like adolescent electric dragon.
Come
> up with appropriate names and numerical attributes and spell
improvements
> and post 'em.

Sure, sounds like an interesting thing to do... except that if we're
thinking of removing many of the current monsters, there might not be much
point creating promotion ramps for them. Can people kinda pick out what
kinds of monsters are elimination candidates, so that I won't have to do
unnecessary work?
-----Begin Response-----
I wasn't aware there were monsters being proposed for elimination.  At least
not seriously.  I don't have any candidates myself, so I'll leave this to
others.
----------
[snip]
> While you're at it, give some thought to our humanoid races.  And bear
in
> mind the seperation of race and class that has been proposed.  I think
> that's going through, eventually.  A Dread Cleric is a bizarre idea,
but it
> IS a thought.  Maybe denying certain classes to certain races should
be
> done, as much as I abhore the idea of hard coding such arbitrary
limits.  In
> any case, the capability of having player Dreads should demonstrate to
us
> what would happen if the AI for an NPC Dread were made smarter.  We'll
> probably uncover loads more imbalances along the way.

Hmm, one way to not have such arbitrary limits is to let Dreads only
have access to magic spells, not prayer spells. (Though this itself is
pretty arbitrary as well. :-P )
-----Begin Response-----
Yep.  Quite.  I'd say some of these questions will only be answerable by
experimentation.  Possibly we'll just have to enhance the God AI or some
such, so that in theory at least, a Dread COULD become a worshipper of Gaia.
But it wouldn't be either likely or easy.  Make that extremely unlikely.  :)

DM