CF: need help with Animate Dead spell...

I'm still experimenting with the Animate Dead spell I mentioned some time
ago... I need some help in actually coding it, though.

1) I still can't decide whether to make the resultant monster (usually a
   zombie) a pet or a golem. Any suggestions?
   Also, the code is rather messy at this point because the golem code and the
   pet-summoning code just doesn't do quite what I need. I suppose I'll have
   to live with this until 0.96.* comes along. Or did I miss something that
   I could use?

2) I made the spell requires the use of special "zombie potions" that work
   as some sort of sacrifice, the same way the weapon improvement scrolls
   work. I did this partly because this is bound to one of my quests, and it
   fits with the story. It's also because I thought it would be interesting
   to use the potions to create undead of varying power:
   - there is a minimum number of potions required for a particular body part
     to be animated, which is chosen carefully considering what kind of
     monster would result.
   - adding more potions than the minimum will cause the resultant monster
     to be stronger, but also more likely to rebel (ie. created uncharmed).
     This is to add a risk factor into the spell, just to make things a little
     more interesting.
   The difficulty I'm facing is how exactly to calculate whether the monster
   would rebel -- this should be based on both the magic level of the caster
   as well as the number of zombie potions used. Any suggestions how the
   probability of rebelling should be calculated?