Re: CF: classes and races

>Doug wilder wrote:
>
> >   From past discussions, it seems that the idea to have the starting
> > races/classes be more distinct is desirable.  So that barbarian is a
>great
> > fighter, and you probably should play him as such.  If you want to try
> > make him a spellcaster, sure, but he is going to be at a disadvantage.
> >
> > Doesn't he already have disadvantages due to the limits his class has
>with
> > stats?
>
>  Yes, the barbarian is one of the harder races (because I think it has a
>larger
>negative on its int/pow than most races have adjustments for).
>
>  However, a few magical items that give you bonuses to those can offset
>that a
>lot.  Sure, you won't ever be as good as a straight mage, but the point is
>that
>you could still play many aspects of a mage.

thats sort of what i was getting at sure with the right items you can make a
barbarian cast spells. you can get any character class to cast spells just
by wearing the amulet. But that doesn't mean he will be a mage or a wizard.
If we want to make it tougher to make a character who will do everything my
suggestion is to break skills apart dont make them so that they clump
together under headings.

For example:
i have a thief who is level 9 at disarming traps. I learn a new skill and it
falls under the same heading as disarm traps. now im level 9 in it too. what
did i do to earn a level 9 in it (NOTHING).
spliting the skills apart makes the character have to earn those skills.
Also by the way if he dies and loses experience points he can lose a lot
more levels in skills that way.