CF: classes and races

David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

I believe the direction we're going is away from pre-defined character
classes and more toward skills based on usage.  If you want to start out as
a fighter and learn magic later, go ahead.  Your initial choice will
determine your maximum natural stats though, so a fighter who later becomes
a wizard will need several more +Power artifacts to get the same number of
spell points.

  Are we really going in that direction?

  From past discussions, it seems that the idea to have the starting
races/classes be more distinct is desirable.  So that barbarian is a great
fighter, and you probably should play him as such.  If you want to try to
make him a spellcaster, sure, but he is going to be at a disadvantage.

Doesn't he already have disadvantages due to the limits his class has with
stats?