Re: Edible cursed dust (was Re: CF: question?)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

> Doug wilder wrote:
> >
> > Yesterday, I was playing and testing out new formulas for alchemy. Now this
> > creates a lot of cursed items. But, what happened was my character got
> > hungery and instead of eating known food good or bad, he ate a cursed magic
> > dust (Blindly Grabs some food).
> >
> > My question is this:
> > Shoudn't there be some sort of priorty marker for using an item
> > automatically like this. I mean, why grab something that i have no idea what
> > it is if i have good food available and i already know what it is
[... snip]
> > and that it is even food. I dont consider dust food do you?
>
>     Dust isn't food.  Dust isn't even edible.  What you ate wasn't dust.  It
> was Food of Hideous Poison that your alchemical accident polymorphed into
> something resembling a magical dust.  As far as I know, those particular
> anomalies can only be created by alchemy.  The problem, therefore, is not
> one of preventing non-foods from being chewed on, but rather a question of
> whether alchemy-accident poisons should be created in forms other than
> potion.

Or to change the alchemy code so that failed experiments don't give you cursed
versions of potential products, but totally useless junk (like goo, ash, muddy
slime, etc.) that you (*and* the code) knows can't be food. I mean, why should
a failed attempt to make a potion of heroism produce something that looks
exactly like a potion of heroism? Shouldn't it be more like black liquid or
some such junk that you know isn't what you tried to make? (as a silly
example, if you cook chicken in the oven for too long, you'd probably get
burnt chicken, not something that looks like good, cooked chicken but is
poisonous. :-)