CF: World Maps

To all,

Well, as far as I can see, map development has really slowed down. I for one am waiting for the 0.96 release to take advantage of the
new object structure etc. e.g. the DICE object or whatever it is.
BTW has there been some consensus on scripting for NPC's?

In light of the current situtation, I've got a proposal:

Mapmakers should wait the next release out I think, and once things have begun to settle down, we get together and design a decent,
semi-consistant starting world for crossfire, since most of the maps will need at least some touching up anyway..

The kinds of features I imagine this mapset having are:

1. A fully navigable (wrap-around?) world map of single scale that can be travelled by boat or dragon etc.

2. A number of starting cities/maps, at least one for each RACE of character

3. Areas of each type of terrain with a controlling god/race/etc. Eg, A dwarven city in the mountains, an elfish town in the forest etc.

4. A semi-consistant "creation myth" and an a "political" atmosphere .ie. This part of the world is at war with this part.

5. A few good beginners quests that everyone can do

6. The map would be divided into a regular grid of small sections (16 x 16?) that auto-tile. Somebody or some group is responsible for a
set of these.

7. A nice, consistant naming scheme for things. eg. city maps named by the name of the city instead of just 'city'.  Things could live
in directory that referenced where they are in the world

8. Inclusion (after balancing) of the exising maps.

Other maps could be added at the edges of the world or as 'alternate realities' etc...

I guess a lot of play balance issues and race progressions need to be sorted out first. With the addition of a god of cold I think our
current Pantheon is workable though (if large avatars worked properly).

My suggested timetable would be to have a working draft going for 0.97, a small, but complete set for 0.98 and then fixes etc into the
future...

Comments? Suggestions?

John the humble map-maker.