CF: polymorph pro -- SPOILER

In message "CF: strategy -- SPOILER", Christian Stieber writes:

>Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:
>
>> > Polymorphing is more like a funny extra to play with in crossfire,
>> > not a useful spell.
>
>> Polymorph could be useful (change that rust monster into something
>> less dangerous).  The problem with a real time game like crossfire
>> is that it takes too long to actual find that polymorph wand, and
>> use it on the monster.
>
>Concerning monsters --- I'm not sure whether we ever get better
>monsters from polymorphing, something that's is definitely possible in
>nethack. Of course, a lowlevel character probably doesn't want to
>produce demiliches or evil masters, so their goal is to change a
>monster into a less powerful one --- which is very dangerous in
>crossfire as well as nethack, since you might create that rustmonster
>out of a skull or something. Or you might create something with
>stealing abiltities. One has to carefully consider the pros and cons,
>both in nethack and crossfire. However, in crossfire there's no
>or fewer pros :-(

I prefer that polymorph is something that can backfire as often as it
provides a useful result.  If you're lucky, you turn that nasty dragon
into a chicken.  If you're not, a hyper kobold from the far reaches of
hell is on your heels!  [man, those things are tough hombres] For a
more experienced player, it is usually a cute toy.  But during my
intermediate levels, I would use it as a means to get rid of tough
creatures to nab their treasure (this is the only type of wand I have
ever used a scroll of recharge for).

Anyways; polymorph is still useful at high levels - if you like to
exploit bugs.  I won't reveal how to abuse it, but I think it is
fairly important that:

*** a monster follower of a character should NOT be available for
    oration/charming by other characters (or at least, not give
    experience for it). ***

Let's just say that my character gained about 50 levels in 5 minutes
of playing time, which clearly is undesirable game behavior.  In fact,
I gained so much exp, I would like to know what the max level is for
a character.  It seemed to max out at around level 120.

Regards,
Tom

PS - I think crossfire is an excellent game!  Everyone who's put
effort into it should get a trophy and parade (virtual, of course). :)
Maybe we should create a map called the Hall of Heros, that glorifies
all the coders with a light show and a monster parade, with golden
plaques and statues bearing their names.