Re: CF: map exit with multiple destinations

Mark Wedel on  wrote...
| Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:
| >
| > Hi! I'm thinking of implementing an extension to the map exit
| > code... I want to be able to specify multiple destination maps for
| > an exit, and the server will randomly pick one when the player
| > enters the exit.
| >
|  1) The exit code on this gets tricky.  For example, if 4 people are
|  adventuring together and go on a boat, either they should all get the
|  encounter or none of them should (this presuming they all board the
|  boat near the same time frame, and hence the same logical boat
|  journey.)  Having a couple people end up in a fight or blown off
|  course or any of those other random events with the other couple at
|  their destination, despite having boarded what would seem to be the
|  same boat journey would be a bit strange.
|
|  This could be done by perhaps setting the exit when the map is
|  loaded, and only change the exit if a player hasn't hit the exit for
|  quite a while (so for example, the exit could store the last time
|  someone used it - if it has been a long time, possibly change the
|  destination, and re-update that time).  This would at least mean the
|  adventuring party would end up in the same place.  The problem here
|  is that if the exit changes infrequently enough, I could see people
|  avoiding the exit once they know it doesn't go to the right place and
|  use other means of transportation.

You can do some random exits now in any case with a little trickery.

Dropping though a trap door produces a randomised position at the
destination. Each square in this destination area could be a exit to a
different map.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
        How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
                  None.  It's a hardware problem.
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au