CF: Skills of the merchant class

Looking at the selling process of Crossfire it seems to me that what happens
is this. Joe Schmoe Adventure comes in to the store toting his bag of
goodies. Now in senario A) Joe doesnt know what he has in his pack and just
drops it on the counter. The merchant looks at what he has and gives a basic
gold value and hands Joe his cash. Senario B) Joe knows that some of his
stuff is magical and holds that stuff back for later evaluation and drops
everthing else. Senario C) he knows what is magical and what is cursed. he
drops the cursed and non-magical and holds back the real good stuff. Senario
D) he knows what is cursed and standard drops that. Runs to the magic shop
and identifies everything comes back and drops what he doesn't want to keep.

Have you ever noticed that if you drop an item that is magical and you dont
know that it is you get a basic gold price for the item. But, if you look at
the item once it hits the ground it has been identified.

For those roleplayers of you out there (and you know who you are) who like
to try and make things fit in neat and reasonable packages think of it this
way. Obviously merchant shops are magical places. How do we know this? Its
obvious, we cant throw magic in them so there must be magic stopping us from
doing this. What is the big stretch of imagination in to concluding that
once an item hits the ground in such a place the magic of it identifies the
item?

Ok enough about that, we can split hairs all day about why things work the
way they do. What id like to do is not reason out why things are done the
way they are but find th things that just dont work and fix them so that
they do.

thanks for letting me rant