Re: CF: CrossEdit

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Scott Wedel on  wrote...
[...]
> | I see two features of primary importance.  First is any easy way to see
> | and manipulate all objects on a map square so that items held by monsters
> | or inside of containers are easy to deal with.  Second is the ability to
> | easily make customized palettes of wall type, monster type, etc which are
> | able to be in their own windows.
[...]
> Most important feature missing from crossedit I can see is a
> layering mechnism.  EG:  `effects layer'. ground, layer. walls. monsters
> etc etc etc.

Some other things to put on the TODO list for CrossEdit:

4. An option "show connected objects", which would draw a blue or green
   box around all objects that are connected to the current one.  It
   should be a toggle (not a one-time thing), so that when the option is
   active you could easily select various objects on the map and see what
   they are connected to.  That would be very useful for all these gates
   and triggers, especially in the recent maps that use them for complex
   special effects.

5. Same as (4) but for keys, doors and chests that have a lock code.  If
   there is an object on the same map that has the same lock code as the
   currently selecte object, then that object should be highlighted by
   having a box drawn around it.  Note that some keys might be in monsters
   or containers.

6. Redo the mouse bindings!  The current interface is extremely unintuitive
   for new map designers.  The combination of left/right/middle mouse clicks
   in the map window and in the main window has a logic of its own, which is
   not shared by any other program that I know.  This is not a big problem
   for me because I have been using CrossEdit for five years or more, but
   these mouse bindings are probably confusing many potential map designers.
   The interface should be redesigned in order to be more similar to what
   others are doing.

7. Use GTK+ instead of Xt.  :-)  That could help solving the previous
   problems (6).

-Raphaël