Re: CF: random map & map start point

Peter Mardahl on  wrote...

Question. What are these `new wall arches' why were they needed ?

| > magic mouth saying "You have just entered a random map."  Well, except
| > that the magic mouth was only triggered on exit, not when entering the
| > map.  :-)
|
| Thanks for pointing this out.  Perhaps I should surround the entrance with
| these guys.  I'll add it to the TODO, this isn't that complex, though.
| Won't take long.

The problem is that the `default start point' of a map is not very
exact.  It is like a pit enterence you can appear anywhere around the
designated starting point on any `passable' square.

Multiple Magic mouths can also be a problem.
Prehaps you should just put a sign next to the enterence...
Probably easier and can supply some extra info.

Sign name ``Random Map'', Content.. who created the `map style' and when,
when it was randomly generated, and any other info the adventurer may be
interested in.

This randomised start point is a real pain on many maps and the solution
is usally to not use the map assigned `start point' but to have that
start point specificed from the calling map.  Arrrgghhh..

Mark, can we make that start point exact, unless occupied?

That would improve the map interconnections a lot and aleviate the need
for many of these `specific point in map' specifications. EG: you make a
change in a map and you have to also change the entry points.

| such as options like "place decor along walls", "no decor in corridors",
| "this item belongs near this other item", which may be more trouble than
| they are worth, but would be nice.

Which again needs some way of specifing coridors and rooms.
Again two floor types in map generation is probably easiest.

And again is best done at the start as it is always harder to add things
like this once the maps start being added to the real game.

Tell you what you create the extra map charcter
   second floor style (outside or corridor)
   second wall style
&  second decore ????
And I promise to create a nethack map generator

| I was wondering how to do this.  The message is awfully easy to edit
| in crossedit, which is why I chose it to place the parameters in.
| Is this ease worth the downside of the players occasionally seeing
| the map parameters as a message?  I decided it WAS worth it, because
| the parameters would be known to the player anyway:  the information
| is contained in what he can see.

You could write it on the sign mentioned instead. -- more room and
optional to read

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
    ``"Set a new course. There's coffee in that nebula.''
                          Captain Janeway -- Startrek Voyager, ``The Cloud''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au