Re: CF: bugs and features

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Christian Stieber wrote:

> Preston F. Crow (Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU) wrote:
> > With the two patches from the list, raffle1 works fine.  I can also kill
> > the dread and trolls in raffle2, but I don't seem to be able to get the
> > buttons at the gates to do anything.  Is something broken there?
>
> Did you do it before? On the 0.94.3 servers (and before) these
> buttons work as expected.

Well, I cant say about the buttons in the bottom of raffle2 (I know
they're sorta funky even when things are working tho), but the outer gate
of Scorn wont open from the outside for me (with the patches), and neither
will the gate into the first level on raffle3.

In my opinion, we do have a QA problem with the releases. I'm not
blameless myself in this, having made the previous release of the client
in less than working order. Now, I dont expect a very high level of
quality in the unstable releases, (and staying with 0.94.3 for public
servers is a good idea (and even correct) IMO), but they should at least
be stable enough to allow further development. This, I think, could be
accomplished with CVS, since several people could actually run a checkout
before release and/or as soon as certain bugfixes are made that changes
the way some things work. It also makes it faster and simpler to decide
if, for example, the map is wrong, the bugfix is wrong, or if both ways
are right and should be used in separate forms.

Currently the division between how things work in the client, the server
and the maps grow from release date until the next release date,
integration becomes uncertain, and testing becomes cumbersome (and I think
it's unreasonable to expect Mark to test for everything that can go wrong
in different configurations, especially since he might not even *have*
the final versions of things more than a day or two in advance of
release).

Best regards,
David