Re: Making Mark's life easier, was: Re: CF: Use CVS

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  I'll have to look at the CVS stuff, but as I recall from what I have seen, not
> everyone has the ability to update the repository (anyone can grab).   So I
> could limit the update access to those people whom I trust more in terms of
> making bugfixes and the like.

That's a very good idea, yes.

>  That was one question of mine - CVS would seem to work fine when smaller
> patches/improvements are not being made, but would seem to be much more
> difficult when very large changes are made (for example, changing the object
> structures will result in significant changes to most every source file there
> is).

Well, we could probably lock the repository for updates a few days in
advance and after such a major change was merged. Developers familiar with
other parts of the code could then update their own copy of the source and
make sure their parts work with the update before the CVS is opened up for
merging in code again. Either way, one should always update with the
latest CVS code and checking that the local copy works ok before merging
in changes to the CVS tree.

>   I can see if I can find something around here to put it on.  The maps might
> be a good starting point - not likely that I will be making major changes, and
> using CVS to only get updated maps is likely to save a lot more bandwidth than
> grabbing the entire archive since it is very seldom more than a few dozen maps
> actually change.

Agreed, the maps and possibly the archetypes would be good. Personally,
I'm of course interested in getting the client code there too :).

Best regards,
David