Re: CF: suggestion for Exp system (damage vs. kill)

Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:

> > Hmm...maybe some differentiation between SKILL and EXP would be
> > needed (like in Tibia...).

> Not quite sure what that really means.  Crossfire is perhaps a
> little complicated in that you have individual skills, and those are
> grouped together into experience categories - the level you are in
> that category determines how good you are in those skills.  Those
> categories are then grouped together into a grand total exp which is
> used for things like overall level and hp.

Well, the "skill level" and the "overall level/hp" are separate in
Tibia.  You have some skills with their own level (like "I'm level 53
in shielding" or "I'm level 80 in fishing" or...), but this doesn't
affect your "exp" at all. You only get "exp" for killing monsters,
and the exp level determines your HP, carrying capacity and mana.

So no matter how much you practice fishing, sword fighting, shielding
or whatever, you don't get exp for it --- you just get better in that
skill.

This is also what Tibia players call "training": people hitting each
other to practice their "sword/gauche/whatever fighting" and shielding
skills. They are not out to hurt each other, and they won't get exp
for it.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber