Re: Re: CF: BUGS: (was Re: Crossfire 0.95.2 released.)

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 11:39:24AM +0100, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 02:34:27PM +0000, Mark Wedel wrote:
> [...]
> > > Change move_gate so that it won't roll off things like grass or other
> > > immovable objects.
> > This totally broken boulder&gates mechanism. Such as used in new Scorn
> > gate house andin raffles.
> > However I cannot remember the grass problem.
> > Would you please stop "fixing" those imaginary problems?
>
> The problem with the grass is not imaginary.  It was reported by Anthony
> Thyssen two weeks ago.  Excerpt from his message:
OK. It seems I have missed it.

> NO!  I don't want Mark to waste his time on testing everything before
> making a release.  A key idea in Open Source software development is
> "release early, release often".  I am sure that Mark has plenty of other
> things to do in Real Life, and any minute that he spends testing the
> game means that the next release is delayed.
I know.

> If the server does not crash immediately after a bug fix and it is still
> possible to start a new character and enter a couple of houses, then IMHO
> the game is stable enough for a new release.  All other bugs will
> certainly be found by one of us on this list, and patches will follow
> soon enough.

But it was quite a long time from the last release.
Most patches for 0.95.1 bugs came just after the release. It was a good
moment to apply them, and release 0.95.2. And then add new features to
it. Crossfire is really great game, and many people don't want to wait
for stable release.

> Also, it is a bit ridiculous to ask Mark to fix only the reported bugs.
> If he finds something strange and he thinks that it needs a fix, than I'd
> rather let him fix it before too many people consider the bug as a normal
> feature of the game.  And if it requires many changes in the maps because
> the bug fix broke some maps that were taking advantage of the "feature",
> then so be it.  It is anyway easier to edit the maps than to add many
> special cases in the server code.  Maybe it is annoying to always change
> the maps, but in the long run it is better to spend time making the server
> more consistent.

You are mostly right. I am also a developer, so I know this side of the
story too.  But I am maniac Crossfire player too. And I would like
Crossfire being more and more playable not more and more buggy. And
I wasn't happy knowing I will have to wait again for some bugs to be
fixed. Fortunately I was able to fix some of them myself. But these are
not good fixes.

> That being said, I will have a look at the "gates & boulders" problem...
I was trying to solve it too, but I couldn't understood the code well (I
think I understand it now), so I but the old move_gate() back.

I just wanted to point some bugs which were not fixed, and some which
were introduced.
I must admit I have also introduced a bug to the client. :-(

Please forgive me that previous post. I was just little disapointed with
the longly awaited release.

Greets,
       Jacek