Future crossfire version, was Re: Graduated protections, was Re: CF: incompatible objects (was Re: Experiments)

Peter Mardahl wrote:

> > Peter Mardahl wrote:
> > >
> > > At SOME point, there was supposed to be a change where protections
> > > would add in a reducing fashion:  what's the status on this?
> >
> >     I remember seeing that suggestion, too.  I don't remember seeing anyone
> > volunteer to actually do it, though.  If nobody else is working on this,
> > I'll do it.  And while I'm at it, I'll throw in a counter to keep track of
> > the player's spell point regeneration penalty.  It's currently being
> > calculated by scanning their inventory every time they regenerate a spell
> > point!
>
> This hack has been done, I've seen this hack, and I've playtested it,
> and it worked pretty well.  Our Japanese friends did it.  Mark
> had some reason for not including it yet.

 I was/am going to wait for the 0.96 release to do it.  At the time I made that
decision, I didn't think it would be that incredibly far away.

 My current hope is to develope at least a skeleton item layout, then import the
code into CVS as a different release so hopefully some others can help out on
the conversion process.

 In some sense, I would like to keep 0.95.x series of release as basically
maintenance releases - bug fixes and minor improvements.  There are several
reasons - one is that it probably won't be until  around 0.96.5 or so that that
series of releases is actually reasonably playable (0.96.0 is basically items
converted, program compiles, and things sort of work).  A second reason is that
anything big that is added to the 0.95 series then has to also get added to the
0.96 series, and chances are that such a merge will need to be done by hand, so
this creates a lot of work keeping them up to sync.  The third is that this then
allows the main developement effort to be on 0.96.x, and not be spending a lot
of time fixing up 0.95.x - features that get added in one version, and then it
is determined there are some bugs that need to be fixed.