Re: CF: Gods and spell paths

Since I looked the gods over some time ago I'll try to give some comments to
the list.
From what I know,
protected is what every priest gains, also given by bless spell,
vulnerable is given to a victim by the curse spell(then vuln to type),
immune is what is granted by the holy possession spell.

Ok, This is true, looking further into it.
>i was looking at the list of gods at http://crossfire.real-time.com/
>and found that i saw some problems with the way some of them where >
>designed.
>some suggestions to be debated

>Gnarg has as his race Goblin,Giant,Troll shouldn't he also have orc
is already in, explained below...

this i didn't realize,

>Lythander has as enemy race Goblin, Troll shouldn't he have orc >listed
same...
>Lythander is Vulnerable to his own Attack Type
even if his priests are vulnerable to the type, the protection should
cancel it out. And then, he can still deal out the "vulnerability" as
curse spell. I know cf isn't a role-playing mud - in a hack and slay game
confusion would be seldom used against monsters, but in a roleplay
environment the ability to confuse someone easier sounds nice.

true confusion is nice in a role play game. this is not a role playing game
as should be noted. But looking over the abilities and disabilities of the
gods i realized that Confusion is way over used. I have been playing this
game for several years and can't think of one time i used the spell. i shall
have to try it sometime to see what effect it has. i don't think it was ever
used against me though.

>Lythander is also Immune and Protected from his Attack Type
>(suggestion for Lythander change Vulnerable from Confusion to >Wounding,
>Missiles and adding Protection to Attuned)
>protection, Immune, vuln all use the attacktypes list.
Attuned uses spellpath list. there is an attacktype confusion, but no
spellpath (I think Mind is the one that does confusion spells too, but I
might be wrong here) Don't mix them up.
I wasn't trying to mix them but may have unintentionaly. I was suggesting
that maybe Lythander be more the opposite of Gnarg. I just assigned him
everything that Gnarg was denied and gave gnarg everything that lythander
was denied.

>Gaia is Vulnerable to her own Attack Type (suggest changing her Vulnerable
>to Poison, Disease)
Gaia is goddess of life, so I'd rather protect her priests against poison
and disease then make them vulnerable.
vulnerable to her own attacktype... yes, first curse your opponents then hit
them when you've made them vulnerable.
Also, if her priests are vulnerable to fear attacks from demons and so on
that's quite ok I think.

Here i was thinking that life is vulnerable to those things and they affect
life more

 > Ruggilli is Vulnerable to Frost and Repelled by Frost (suggest he be
denied  Frost instead)
Ruggilli is already denied a lot. Adding yet more to the denied list...
hmmm. Open to debate though. Without being able to cast cold spells
priests of Ruggili will get a lot of problem against those cold-vulnerable
beings (dragons etc...)

true but he is a fire god. seems to me that fire and ice dont mix very well
at all and should cancel themselves out. Might be nice to make up a frost
god for him to go against though. hmmmm, how about:

Name:        Freya (female.. need more godesses)
Enemy God:   Rugilli (optional fire and earth creatures to be
                      added to him)
Race:        Ice Creatures (optional water and air creatures)
Enemy Race:  (reverse of Rugilli)
Attack Type: Physical, Cold
Immunity:    Cold
Protected:   Physical, Magical, Cold
Vulnerable:  Fire
Attuned:     Weapon Magic, Cold
Repelled:    ?
Denied:      ?
Special:     reflect_missiles, (hp_regen 1, hunger 1, should be
             reversed from rugilli settings)
Avatar:      2x2, 500 hp, ac -7 wc -3 dam 40 armour 50

 > Mostrai has as an Enemy Race Goblin, Troll (suggest adding Orc)
hmm Mostrai should have giants as enemy, not troll.From my list Gnarg has
race goblin-giant-troll, Lythander has goblins and trolls as enemies,
Mostrai goblins and giants. Since Gnarg has two enemy gods it makes some
sense that his raves are a bit split up, at least I
assumed this when I changed some things (it was this way even before I did
my changes, btw...) Addings orcs to every list is unnecessary, simply look
at the races file: goblin race includes
kobold,goblin,orc,gnoll,+generators for each,+ologhi,hkobold and
unusual_kobold (whoever that is....)

I'd go for that.  I'm not a programmer and don't know anything babout the
programming behind the game. I'm trying to look at the game from a game
design point of view. Seeing that the programming looks at the orcs and
related monsters as goblin races makes sense.

 > Mostrai is Attuned to Creation, Transmutation, (suggest adding
Information)
why? I wouldn't make Mostrai stronger - personally I believe he's a bit
stronger than the others already

 > Gorokh and Valriel are almost the same only differences:
 > they are both Attuned to the others Denied
 > Some differences in Avatar
 > Both are Immune to Fear and Confusion
 > Both are protected from Fear and Confusion
 > Both use Fear as Attack Type
 > These two are suppost to be enemies
Since they are more or less my creation... I imagined them as mirror
images, one good and the other evil. Both have extraplanar beings as
followers. They should be totally contrary in alignment, but there would be
similarities as well.
hmm, they just seemed a little limited as to what they would affect. I don't
mind the good vs evil affect i would just like to fill them out a little
more.
 > Shouldn't we assign humans as enemies to someone maybe Devourers or Gorkh
Not to Gorokh - humans aren't powerful enough to be raised to full enemy
status :), also humans might worship him....
Devourers on the other hand... they never had a declared enemy, and I left
that as it was. If they had an enemy it would have to be every living
creature, from dragons to humans to insects, plus elementals, plus....
They have strong attack types (death...) which should make up for the lack
of a special enemy.
Here I was thinking that there are so many types of humans out there
Barbarians, Vikings, Pirates, Guards, Cleaning Women... I couild go on for
an hour. To call them minor is hardly right. they fill a lot of the game in
the dungeons and towns. it just seemed fitting to put them on a hate list
too.

Ruggilli also has no enemy - but if anyone wants to design another god, of
Frost, Ice and Order, as opposed to Ruggilli (chaos, fire, dragons) those
could become enemies.

See the above suggested god...