Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: Recall altars

Raphaël Quinet (Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se) wrote:

> But if you drop some objects with the FLESH type on these altars
> and the race of the creature from which these bodyparts were
> created is on the list of the ennemies of the god, and you use
> the praying skill on top of the altar (lots of conditions...)
> then your recall point will be set to this altar.  Phew!

Fine. So every player starts with /city/city, and can change the
recall point to some temple. I don't really see a use for this
(would be better to change the recall point to the apartment),
but it doesn't do any harm, so there's nothing to worry about.

However, how does one change his recall point _back_ to city/city
(other than asking the game admin to do it)? This is important,
not just because some player might change his mind, but to prevent
accidentally changing your recall point (because you accidentally
hit the "drop all" key before praying...).

How about letting the player set the recall point to any location
marked by some "this is a potential recall point" flag? You predefined
altars could include this flag, as well as the bed to reality archetype;
this would already provide quite a few reasonable recall points.
Then all the towns would need to be changed so people can recall
to the marketplaces.

> That would also enable another trick: adding yet another object,
> a "temporary recall object" that could be set or deleted by some
> invisible traps in the map.  I have mixed feeling about this
> because it could be abused by map designers

Oops? Interesting thought --- how can a map designer "abuse" a
feature? In any case, map designers have "abused" other features (for
example, I have an apartment town on my server where you could buy
exits and beds to reality to carry around), but one doesn't have to
install these things (I removed these items from the map and fixed
other bugs before installing it). I have seen servers with all sorts
of cheat items (on one server they had all the artifacts, including
the pupland stuff, in one big room with a few monsters in front of
it. Later on they removed that room again and added a "black dragon
scale mail" instead ("we didn't find the white dragon scale mail, so
we created this one. It's better than the white one anyway"). On
another server everybody was running around with an "ring of elder
magic").  That's an "abuse" too, but no reason to not implement the
ability to add special items. After all, the game admin decides which
maps he actually wants to install.

In fact, the current map set has such an abuse --- the healing house
has a rod of restoration to buy, which duplicates the golden
unicorn horn, which is reasonably difficult to find and get.
So nobody needs to get the unicorn horn anymore. However, that's
not a reason to not allow special rods in a map; it's merely
a reason to fix the healing house before installing it.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber