Re: CF: experience point system

On Sep 25, 12:56pm, Robert Brockway wrote:

> I think the game would have been served better if a simple doubling system
> for progression had been used throughout.  As it is, such a system could
> be implemented but existing characters would have problems.

 I will note that as an even more complication, when you kill something, your
level is compared to that of what you killed - basically, it takes a ratio -
monster level/your level.

 So if you kill stuff higher level than you, you get more exp - stuff lower
level gets less exp.

 This is why at first level you get decent exp for the kobolds, but at high
level you get nothing.

 However, it can be noted that the above adjustment would tend to come more
into play at lower levels - if killing something 1 level different from
yourself, that is a 10% different in exp at 10th level, but only about 3% at
30'th level.

> As a related note, Mark himself noted that the game was meant for
> characters to go up to about 30th level and then stop.  This would be
> about right if a simple doubling xp system had been used instead of the
> current system.

 I think I said that is more where it appears the game was originally designed
to go, based on most of the spells and what not.

> I am considering doing a quick patch to fix the 'problem'.  Perhaps it
> could be included as a compile time option.

 Would be easy enough to change.  If you are going to double the exp, I think
it might also be worth to remove the level comparison logic in attack.c.  It
seems like only one should really be needed (if exp doubles, then sure, at
level 15 you might still get 5 exp/kobold, but for the amount of exp you need
for the next level, it is now really an insignifcant amount).  It also prevents
some high gains at lower levels where a 'low' level character can get an arrow
of assassinting trolls, kill the troll, and gain a several levels because he is
lower level than the troll and also gets a bonus for that.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com

Follow-Ups: References: