Re: Intelligent Clients (was Re: CF: hello)

Martin Wille (m@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de) wrote:

> > However --- how do you know that something is a bot in the first place?
> > An authorizing scheme would mean you'd have to authorize players too...
> >
> What i was thinking about was the following scenario:
>
>  o bots connect on a different port, so that
>    they a are distinguished from other (regular) players.

Well, why authorize them, then? After all, one can always write a bot and
let it connect to the player port to get around the authorizing scheme.

> > Hey, we already have a non-player client (mr_log --- he records all kills
> > on the server and creates HTML pages...). Just a little hack from a friend
> > of mine, though.
> Thats great. I wasn't aware of this one.

Well, "we" is not the crossfire-community as a whole. "We" is
currently my server; Steve never released sources or some such (in
fact, the sources are ugly...). Of course it's not an intelligent
client ("bot"), since mr_log doesn't run around and do things
(except that he keeps saying "booooo" to scare away people :-)).

It would really be fun to make a NPC client --- like a shop where
people can actually steal stuff, with the shopkeeper hunting them down
:-) Or maybe a better "pet", a NPC asking you to help him solve a problem,
and actually taing part in the adventure. But that would be quite
complicated to program...

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber