Re: CF: hello

> On client-level cheating ... the way we avoid it in Netrek is to use
> binary authentication.  To play on most servers one must obtain a client
> that was compiled by the development team.
>
> This code may be easily re-used for Crossfire.
>
> The drawback is that the group needs to provide clients that are
> pre-built rather than just distribute source.

I think client level cheating is only possible if the client knows
info that is not to be known by the player.  I see no requirement
that the CF client knows anything not known by the player and if
client cheating becomes a concern then I'd rather fix the protocol
so player knowledge can equal client knowledge.  If people can
make clients that play as well as a player then good for them.
Seems to me that means there are very good pseudo NPCs in the
world.  And if smart client does stuff like automatically change
armor for player and hence does something instantly that should
take time then CF server should be changed to add enough time to
changing equipment to make things fair again.

							sdw