Re: CF: pause?

On Mar 9,  3:22pm, Scott Wedel wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: pause?
>

> I think the real goal of a pause is to be able to take a break without
> having to leave a region and find a bed of reality.  A character cannot
> currently just be left motionless in a map since the character needs to
> eat.  Thus, if there was a character sleep mode where player didn't need
> food or regain mana then someone could stop playing and later return to
> the game.  A character in sleep mode cannot be attacked or affected in
> any way.  To prevent abuse, a player could be prevented from sleeping
> if any nearby monsters and player has to stationary for 60 seconds.

 I will note that if the character has food, the game will 'feed' the character
when needed.  So presuming a character has enough food, that is not an issue.

 However, a sleep/rest command might not be a bad thing.  General idea:  During
resting, you use less food, regain hp & sp faster, but takes you some amount of
time to stop resting (ie, maybe 5 or 10 ticks, so if a fireball goes off next
to you, you will likely be in trouble.)  Perhaps quality is rest is based on
other factors - you can not rest with equipped armor or weapons.  However,
until actual time to apply such items is added, that doesn't make a big
difference.

> Also, the resetting of maps should not just be upon player activity in
> that map, but upon player activity in specified related maps.  So a
> player in the top of a tower does not have to worry about lower levels
> resetting while sleeping (or adventuring).

 That will be added at some point - when automatic map tiling is added, some
type of map overview file will need to be added to specify adjoining maps to
auto tile.  Once that map overview file is added, it makes sense for it to
include other information, like related maps, large scale continent/geography
information (ie, any map under new_world has different
gods/weapons/treasurelists for everything as an example)

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com