Re: CF: win32 client and XPM

gecko@freecar.com (gecko@freecar.com) wrote:

> I'd agree with Christian.  I havn't done much direct work with xpm, yet, but
> the format looks simple enough to convert on the fly to any native format...
> well, assuming the format being converted TO is simple enough..

Just for the record: it's very simple even if the "native" format is very
complicated. Generally, a "native" format is "native" because the
OS or GUI has builtin support for that format, which should at least
include functionality to read/write such files. "Writing" in this context
generally means that some bitmap is dumped into a file; and this is where
the chain of conclusions terminates: creating a bitmap from an XPM file
is extremely simple if you have a "set pixel x/y in color z" function
somewhere. I don't think it's necessary to tell that most GUI systems
have such a function :-)

Because of the (proposed? Hopefully implemented before 1.0) image
caching, the conversion need not be efficient. See my other mail why
I think that client won't ever convert more than a few images per
year or so :-)

Christian

--
Christian (Icho/Gandhi/Ribald @sunbroy53.informatik.tu-muenchen.de, 13326)