Re: Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Nishita Seikoh wrote:
> If the rarity causes the "inconvinience" of recovering/gaining stat,
> then I think all permanent stat potions should be eliminated.
> For example,

I have another suggestion.  Make it so that if you drink a stat-potion
while the sum of your real stats is equal or more than (for instance) 90 +
current level, you loose a point in a random stat before gaining the new
stat, and get an appropriate message ("You feel as if your body is about
to explode...").

This helps overall balance, but to make sure death is a penalty, some new
effect should be added.  Maybe a new kind of depletion that lasts until,
for instance, a level is gained.

Another thing to help balance, would be a function that calculates
minimum level to use an item, based on total bonus, damage/ac, weight,
speed, etc.  Even a simple function would help alot.

None of these things helps against level 100 players, but in my time the
game wasn't really meant to be balanced above level 10 anyway...

Btw, aren't there there any designers out there?  Isn't it about high time
we got some graphic design on the standard crossfire window?  Nothing
functional, just something to help get a more professional look (some
fancy borders and backgrounds, like all commercial games got).  This
should be easily portable to any clients.

How many use -split anyway?

-Frank.