Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

On Jan 13,  8:14pm, Preston F. Crow wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!
> > Then, at some point, I will look at removing the X11 code from the server.
> >
> > However, I just realized that last point may not be as easy since there is
> >some X11 stuff in crosslib the crossedit will still need.
>
> It would be ugly, but I suppose you could make it a conditional part
> of the compile, and then compile it with it on only for crossedit.

 Yeah.  My thought is to generate two libraries - one for crossedit, and one
for the server.  The same source files might be used, with some code
enabled/disabled via some #ifdef.  One possible advantage might be that the
library can now call the server functions directly instead of using
function pointers (those calls would be in the #ifdef SERVER type of thing.)

 Other thought might be to see what type of stuff crossedit is missing from
crossedit without crosslib.  A lot of the crosslib functions are more
complicated because of special server checks and other conveniences which are
not needed by crossedit.

> On the other hand, maybe we want a Java version of crossedit?  Perhaps
> that should be the next big Java project.  From my perspective, the
> enjoyment of the game is proportional to the diversity of the maps, so
> anything that will result in more map development is a very good
> thing.

 If we can get enough public servers out there, the need for a java server
decreases some (except for the general code cleanup.)  While a java editor
might be nice, I am not sure if writing one will help out with a java server a
lot - some portion of the code will be reusable, but a lot of it will probably
be code just for the editor.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com