Re: CF: Invisible objects

Mark Wedel wrote:
> I think that with the party system, there is a whole can of worms related to
>the skill system for experience.
>
> However, the party system does make some sense - gives at least a little more
>incentive for people to party together.
>
> I wonder if experience gained by party members but who did not directly kill
>the creature (ie, another party member did) should be added to a general
>experience category (not directly associated with any skills, but still counts
>towards gaining levels/hp).
>
> The other thought would be to add the exp in the category in which the killing
>player used.  So that if someone killed something with a sword, it is
>reasonable to suggest that you might have learned something watching him do it.
>  This still might have some problem in that the mage may get physical exp
>easier than he should (ie, a 10'th level mage/0 level fighter could easily
>become 10/10 with a good fighter in the party killing everything for him).
> Likewise, fighters could become good mages.
>
> If the player lacks the matching experience category, (ie, fighter doesn't
>have a mage category, but the mage did kill stuff with a fireball), he just
>loses out.
>
> This may be a little more balanced than the present system.
>

>-- Mark Wedel
>mark@pyramid.com

After thinking about this a little, I think there should be a category
of general experience which helps a char's overall level, but not any
skill level.  Party exp and maybe some other exp types (quest exp?)
would be added to general exp.  So the member of the party that did the
killing blow would get exp in that skill type while the rest of the party
(observers) wouldn't get any skill exp, but some general exp.

The result would be that partying would be a good means of increasing
overall level (ie hp) while increasing one's level, but not an overly
advantageous means of increasing one's skills.  This would seem to be
a good balance since it encourages partying, but prevents a mere
observer from becoming highly skilled.

							sdw