Re: CF: Client protocol and low-bandwidth links

On Feb 28,  6:26am, James & Petria Cameron wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Client protocol and low-bandwidth links
> Scott MacFiggen wrote:
> > As Mark said, this is already done.
>
> Ah, good.  I was looking at 0.93.7 and I saw it was still server-only.
> I would expect the server-only mode to be gone once the client/server
> is working.  Because this is the way you want the game to go.

 Yeah - if you look at the TODO file, it contains a roadmap of future
versions:

0.94.0: complete client/server implementation (done)
0.94.x: Various refinements/fixes for the cs stuff above.
0.95.0: Remove all X11 dependant code - only client/server play supported
        at that time.

0.99.0: Start refining crossfire to be stable and balanced for 1.0 release.
        This means the only changes here would likely to be bufixes, and not
        new features.
1.0: First true public release - fully stable, and very well balanced.

> For each game windowing function, find the identical X11 usage in
> x11window.c, find the C function of the same name in mswindow.c, and
> copy code as appropriate.  If a windowing function is not found,
> implement it in terms of existing functions or develop afresh.

 Some high level translation might be in order.  The x11 code in the client
is pretty much just a straight copy out of the server.  Many things can
likely be handled with higher level toolkits (for example, crossfire
implements its own scrollbar functionality using basic X11 calls).

 At some type, I would actually like to write an alternate x11 code for
the client that does use a higher level toolkit (not sure which one -
wheter to use xt/xaw, motif/lesstif, or just something completely different.)

 The x11 code in the client is a bit messier simply because it does handle
a lot of that functionality on its own.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com