Re: CF: Newbie hints

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

> | Argh! At least do identify them bfore you alchemy them. Use the
> | "woodsman" skill if you have it, else carry them to a shop, identify
> | them, and sell them there. I always identify everything to get much
> | more money, which makes alchemy rather useless at low mental
> | levels/without the identification skills. Money is just too important
> | for me at low levels.
> |
> I din't say I identify them, I am not high enough levels (until now),

You don't need the spell. Take them to a shop to identify them.
Identifying 50 zombie corpses costs the same amount of money as
identifying one corpse.

> I am just finding so much `junk' informational scrolls that it is
> difficult to tell if this scroll is a skill or not.

Hm... let me see. There may be bugs in this list, but it should be more or
less correct:

scroll of       grants skill	effect
legerdermain    wizardry	like talisman
piety           praying		like holy symbol
wood loore	woodsman	identify food & corpses, faster in forest
thaumaturgy	thaumaturgy	identify wands/rods
sense curse	sense curse
sense magic	sense magic
performing	singing		calm down monsters
leadership	oratory		convince monster to become a pet
smithing	smithery	identify weapons and armor
alchemistry	alchemy		identify potions and amulets
shopping	bargaining	better prizes in shops
fletching	bowyer		identify bows/crossbows/arrows/bolts
scaling		mountaineer	faster on mountains/hills
concealment	hiding		useless
appraisement	jeweler		identify rings and gems
hurdling	jumping		not quite sure what benefits it has
karate		karate		more damage when attacking weaponless
literacy	literacy	all classes already have that
missile weapons	missile weapons	character can use bows/crossbows

> I'd say immunity to fire is important, though to a newbe, not as
> important as ``how to get experience'' in each skill.

In the important skills (physical, praying, magic) experience is
rather easy to get at all levels, although magic is a little more
difficult these days. And good prayers help a lot with getting exp.

Also, wisdom helps in several places: the higher your wisdom levels
the better your weapons, and it raises your overall level. The overall
level is important because it gives you hitpoints, and higher levels
protect from paralysis, confusion and similar spells.

Also, once you can cast summon avatar, you will be able to get random
artifacts, which is the first step towards better items. Some of the
random artifacts will be replaced by special artifacts later on, but
I'm still wearing a couple of random artifacts since are are no better
special artifacts.

So building up wisdom experience (which is the easiest) makes it easier
to build magic and phyiscal later on.

With some decent levels in the three skills you'll also be able to
explore maps you haven't explored before, and still have a chance to
survive :-) You'll still be killed sometimes, but that's life --- as
the person in front the monitor collects experience, your character
will die less often :-) Know your enemies, know the maps, and you'll
never die. But until you know these things...

> Remember experience is easier to get at lower levels, so it is good to
> try and build experience in as many of the different types as posible.

It depends on the skill in question.

> | Eech. Who needs a keybinding for that? You almost never need bows.
> |
> Not with this bow I have. +25 damage!

Bow of Auriga? Or the energy bow from the polymorph bug?

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber