Re: CF: Scorn Improvment Wish List

Preston F. Crow (Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU) wrote:
> Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> > I did when I played years ago. I got good with the fireborn.
> > Good built in AC, high magic straight off.
>
> Christian wrote:
> > The problem is that it can't wear armor and weapons. No cold immunity,
> > for example. No magic immunity. No this and that. No good stats.  My
> > barbarians (my favorite class) are much better at spellcasting than any
> > fireborn due to the equipment he can use.
>
> I'm playing a fireborn right now, and it can be a lot of fun.  You are
> totally free to use large fireballs without worrying about burning
> yourself up

I do the same. Either because I already have the white dragon scale
mail, or because I have the "immunity to fire" prayer.

> The armour and weapons restriction is really tough, but that's the
> point.  It is a "challenge" class.

That's what I said in the mail that Anthony replied to.

> On the other hand, it might be a
> little more ballanced if, say, a fireborn could use four rings instead
> of just the regular two.

> Also, though they still take dammage, acid isn't a problem when you
> don't have armour or weapons to be corroded.

There aren't many creatures doing acid attack. A normal character uses
a ring of elements plus a cloak of Darkness if he _really_ has to run
through acid stuff --- but the current map set doesn't have a relevant
place where this is required (hm... except maybe for the way to the
Katana of Masamune --- don't remember for sure how much acid there is).

This doesn't apply if the server has grey island --- the Greyshield
is an item that certainly qualifies as being a possible cheat item.

> I was thinking that there should also be a frostborn class.  This
> would be tougher, as there are fewer ice spells, and fire is more
> prevalent in general.

No, a frostborn would be easier since they would be able to learn
"immunity to fire" as well, so they would be immune to both fire and
ice.

Fewer ice spells?
  burning hands      icestorm
  dragonbreath       large icestorm
  fireball           snowstorm
  firebolt           frostbolt
  steambolt
Oops... close, but you are right :-)

Granted, "meteor swarm" and "comet" also count as "fire" spells, but
personally I don't consider them "fireĻ spells. And overcharging also
produces a fireball.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber