Re: CF: Newbie hints

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

> | Concerning the praying --- _never_ read a scroll of piety if you can
> | avoid it, if you plan to become a perfect character in the future :-)
> | Same for the the scroll of legerdermain, although that's less of a
> | problem. Always use a holy symbol/talisman instead of learning the
> | skills. You should learn all the other skills, of course.
> |
> Why?????

> You said this in in the begineers guide tips too but you do not explian
> WHY you should do this!!!

Isn't that obvious? There are talismans (or is that talismen? :-)) and
holy symbols with additional plusses -- like the "Totem of the fire god",
which is an _excellent_ holy symbol. If you don't have the skill, then
the holy symbol/talisman will be applied automatically, which gives you
the benefit of the additional properties of the items at no additional
cost.

If you learn the skill you have apply the thing yourself --- which means
additional work.

> | Make a keybinding like this: "invoke holy word;use_skill pr;stay fire;
> | stay fire;stay fire;stay fire;stay fire". You might need more "stay
> | fire" later on, so be careful when you gain a level. Unwield you
> | weapon; you probably won't be able to take off some armor, but if you
> | can, do it.
> |
> You forget to say you need a few extra things...
>   1/ a holy symbol  -- I still havn't got one
>   2/ Selected a god!!!  If you can find an appropraite altar!

I didn't forget it --- you didn't quote it. Among other things I said
that
  - you gave to be able to cast holy word (which implies a holy symbol
    or the skill)
  - I assume you are a follower of Jehova
read my mail again :-)

> You should also explain `key binding' particularly for multiple skills
> and what each of the above commands really mean and do!

Hm... "invoke <spell>" casts a spell in the direction you are facing.
"use_skill pr" applies the praying skill, which restores 1 point of grace.
"stay fire" applies the currently selected skill again, which is praying
in this particular case (less typing than "use_skill pr").

One just has to make sure that there are enough "stay fire" in the keybinding
so all the grace is restored --- then you can just press down the key,
lean back, and watch the zombies die (and your levels go up --- slowly,
and it really only makes sense until level 6).

> | The same map can be used to get money --- zombie corpses are valuable,
> | and the only good way of getting money for a newbie. Be sure to
> | identify them, of course.
> |
> Pardon. How are zombie corpse valuable? Arn't they rather heavy?

Yes. Collect as many as you can, identify them, sell them. Repeat. My
favorite way of making money with a lowlevel character on newer servers
(i.e. those without the "create money" spell).

> Prehaps the lottery should be explained in a sign at the top of raffel
> level if it isn't already!

I think it is.

> | To be continued, if there is interest.
> |
> Yes please.

Hm... ok :-) I'll make up another chapter.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber