CF: Death, Stats and a Simple Party...

Okay, so I've got a bunch of friends together and we've been playing
awhile...

When we all started, life was good, our rolled stats were reasonable so
we formed a party and went off adventuring. Until... we all accidently
ran into a place with a bunch of skulls. Ouch! Things rapidly
deteriorated.
The "penalty" for death in crossfire really bites. Losing 20% of
experience seems pretty fair, but the loss of stats really makes it
difficult to get through levels 5-12 where suitably matched monsters and
quests seem to be lacking.

Our quick fix was to comment out the five lines or so of code that
reduces a random stat and this seems to work quite well. What does
anyone else think?

Something else. We don't really like the system of initially allocating
stats. I guess the "rolling" evolved from D&D or something. As it is
people playing on my machine just sit there pressing "roll again" until
they get something they like.

Wouldn't it make more sense to allocate a number of Points (Based on
Class?) that the player can "spend" accordingly?
Or perhaps various classes just have fixed base stats that can be
improved with gameplay somehow?

Also in the party we discovered that when one member attacks a monster
and then another member of the party finishes it off, the first player
gets experience in whatever skill is currently applied!
This means that everyone in the party can run up and hit something then
change to a skill that they want to gain exp in while someone finishes
the beast off - Is it meant to work like this? This is for the so-called
"simple party" is there a more complex way to play?

Thanks.

--
John Cater