Re: CF: Map Zoom

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  from what I have seen, png should be quite feasible.  The bigger issue is is
> it worthwhile - is there enough to be gained using png over xpm that that move
> shoudl take place?  OR is there enough to be gained to have png sit aside xpm
> and support both formats?

Well, portability, 24 bit, alpha layers and size are the nicest features.

>  All could be scaled up, and perhaps a few that need it more badly (scaling did
> a real poor job or something) could then be touched up.  But this is really
> subjective.

Well, I did some experimenting earlier this year (converting and remaking
some images in 32x32 24bit format (and using palette reduction to get to
useful number of colors for CF)). 32x32 is a *lot* easier to work with
for details in the images than 24x24.

/David