Re: CF: Races + Classes

On Dec 16, 12:01am, Peter Mardahl wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Races + Classes
> > 	Is there any interest in switching to a 'race'/'class' system
> > instead of the current system where class is part of the race? I was
> > thinking something along these lines:
>
> > 1. Remove the 'classes', like warrior, viking, mage, and such. Have only
> > races listed, like human, elf, quetzlcoatl, wraith, dwarf, whatever. Give
> > these characters basic skills.
>
> Well, it's sorta strange to have the various classes in there anyway.
> We could easily change them into various race names, and that'd do the
> trick.  All they really are is a set of + and - stat modifiers.
> Maybe we can regard them as subspecies of human.

 Historically, I believe everything was pretty much classes at the beginning,
and more recent changes have added more of the races.

 However, adding both races and classes brings up what does each of them do.

 I could see races adjusting basic stats and giving some basic skills and
bonuses (protections, vulnerabilities and the like.)

 What does that leave for the class then?  If you just go to a guild and buy
strength or whatever, all that really does is replace the potions or whatever -
doesn't change much.

 Right now, the closest thing to determine what class someone is is what skills
they have and how they use them.  Unless the ideas of classes get changed quite
a bit, I don't see much uses for classes.

 It can certainly be argued that there are too many starting classes/races
right now without any significant difference.  Probably about half could be
removed without there being a big difference.  You probably really only need
dwarf, elf, quetzalcoutl, fireborn, wraith, human, fighter type, thief type,
cleric type, and mage type.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com