Re: CF: Invitation to contribute to random map generator

On Dec 16, 12:59pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Invitation to contribute to random map generator

> Hmmm the map creater should be able to specify `corridor' and `room'
> floor types. Later `styles' may make both types of floor the same or
> optionally different.  Also what about ``small building'' generators!
> These should be able to specify `outside' (for front door forecort)

 I think your probably want to go with a multipass generator.

 The first pass, which Peter has already detailed, does the wall planning and a
few other special things (doors, staircases, ...)

 Second step should then do the cosmetic adjustments - add the floor types
based on style of the map, likewise for wall types.  Maybe choose what door to
use, and so on.  This step probably then returns a map structure.

 This can work out very nicely as the style is then independent of the actuall
layout - you could have a dungeon style, house style, outdoor style (for
example, a hedge maze), ...  Keeping them as seperate steps then allows for
more types of random maps to be made, since the actual layout is not tied with
any style.

 Third pass is then probably to populate it with the treasure and monsters.
 This can then be used to make sure that all the monsters are consistent.

> Also what about the addition of  `o' to mean pillers or `O' to mean
> optional castle corner peice (if `style' permits).
> Actually a lone # could probably mean a piller.

 Yeah - a lone # for a pillar of the style can find something that matches.  IF
the style can also find matches, it can then substitute the appropriate items
in for the corners and what not (ie, something like:

#
##
#

 If the style chosen is the castle wall, it could recongize that for that
middle #, there are walls in 3 directions and do the right thing.  I believe
the naming of the wall pieces were done in such a way this shouldn't be too
hard - the editor knows to do those substitutions when using the autojoin
feature.

> Example: a random temple map generator.

 In a three pass system, it would probably be something like:

 1) Basic layout is large chamber/hall.  This puts down our # in the right
 space.
 2) Style is temple, so the walls and floor are chosen to better match up -
maybe marble floors.
 3) The population type is chosen as holy (or priest or something), so it gets
populated with various types of priests.  This perhaps includes adding some
altars.

 The advantage I see in the seperate steps in that #1 could be substituted for
 an underground style map (not big chambers, but smaller rooms), #2 use the
appropriate images, but #3 stays the same to make it a secret sect or
something.

 Multiple passes also makes it very easy to extend the system.  Someone who is
very clever at doing the map layouts only needs to worry about coming up with
something for pass #1 - pass 2 and 3 will take care of the rest.  Likewise, if
a new population type is added, then someone could just extend pass #3, and not
have to worry about messing with all the pass 1 areas to add the new race in.

 This is just my thoughts - Peter is heading up the work so may have some other
ideas.  But I don't think you want all of that in the main function - you
certainly want to modularize the areas to extensions are easier.  How many
layers could be a matter of debate (adding a few more for extra details could
certainly be done.)

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com