Re: CF: questions...

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Scott D. Yelich wrote:
> There's a new crossfire out? .95.x ?  I think I'm running .94 or something.
> Does this version only have a GTK client? I've been reading a lot about
> it, but I don't have it (I still have the x in the server version).

The 0.95.x series are client-server only, no X in the server.

The client can be built in either a GTK version or an Xlib version (same
basic source, different GUI frontend sources).

> I also have been reading about all the missing features and additional
> quirks with the gtk client.... when will a stable/complete/playable
> version be out (just asking! :-) )

*hrm* :) Actually, 0.95.1 release + latest patch should be
stable/playable, and I dont have any outstanding known problems. Complete
may be a different matter; almost all features are implemented, I dont
think there are any game critical features lacking, but there are some
more ideas pending implementation.

> .... I don't know about apartments --
> what else is new?  Also, random maps is something that crossfire needs
> desparately -- look at diablo -- with a few *keys* added or
> by creating two-3 levels at once, they could have had some really
> incredibly replace -- as it is now, the random maps help, but
> it's just the same old same old.  With CF, the random encounters were
> just too annoying to ever be left on, but they were a decent attempt to
> add some extra/randomness to things.  Personally, I think it would be
> trivial to get a set of random maze generators for things like dungeons,
> caves, stuff below ground, etc.

Random mazes have been talked about for Crossfire for quite a while.
Personally, I dont think they'd really fit into the idea. The problem isnt
really a lack of maps, but rather a lack of development of good storyline
maps. Hopefully, that might be amended :).

That is not to say that random maps wouldnt have any place. For example,
randomized maps may be a good idea in the the editor; you could generate a
generic housemap, dungeon or cave as a template and use them for easy
population of the world. Another alternative would be for example a
'dungeon of chaos' where there were randomized maps.

Best regards,
David