Re: CF: client woes! and mroe

Hallo

stieber@informatik.tu-muenchen.de said:
> ell, I never used the client very long (except for some testing) since
> it lacks many playability features from the telnet "client". That's
> why I'm very worried about the "0.94.3 will be the last server with X
> support...".
I second that. Client performance and behaviour is not what I want to use now.
Sorry for that. But I'll promise to use it, if it's nearly as fast and
stable as the server implementation of X11.* I think it's a good idea to
separate the output of the server from the server. To abandon the support
of the server implementation is not. At least in the current situation.
How about removing it within later releases? I was very surprised reading
the stop of support within this release. **

Bis dann
Klaus
*:
I have some old machines (sun3) too, running crossfire(server/client).
**:
Especially, because I submitted a patch for better incorporating the server
within nfs-environments. which didn't got into the current release.:-( :
Moving all writable files to another dir, so the games-directory might
be mounted readonly from file-server!! I.e. move the temp.maps file near the
temporary map files, where they should be. unique-item-directory
belong near the temporary map-files too. (imho)
highscore, bookarch, and
players-directory don't belong on a readonly file-system, they have to
be separated in /var/{tmp,*}/crossfire/ for example.
I suggest /var/opt/crossfire. But I satisfied with /var/tmp/crossfire too.
Please have a look on the following situation:
(which actually is my situation)
Im running 12 servers and about 70 workstations within 4 subnets.
/tools/games is automounted, because it's wasted space, dublicating
the whole folder (about 100 MB) on all file-servers. The folder will be
exported readonly on all servers/clients. That's because no one, not even
root on the server/clients should write on that automounted folder.
Now suppose someone running crossfire or starts a crossfire server on
his client or on some server. This server writes the temp-maps into
/tmp/cf* locally. It can't write temp.maps and unique-item/* ... .
Reloading those maps is difficult :-(
If, on the other hand, I export the /tools/games directory writable (by all
user, or only by a group (setting the s-bit)?), the temp.maps got to be written
(and the other files too), but running crossfire on another server can
access temp.maps and unique-items, but the mentioned /tmp/cf* maps, they
can't be located.
The only solution for this dilemma, (beside from running only on crossfire-
server) is to put together all files/directories,
which might be written during a crossfire session, and store them
locally in those directories, which are local to the system running the
crossfire-server.
Running only one server is no solution, because we have some (administration)
servers, where only the bofh's have access. No user login/access allowed.
(This is the server exporting ro the /tools/games folder. :-)***
)
Any suggestions?
***:
I don't run x-tank.
--
"Sure, vi is user friendly. It's just particular about who it makes friends
with." ;-)

PGP signature