Re: CF: Yet another 0.84.1 problem

I think a weight limit of 4500 is quite reasonable.  That is a lot of
stuff.  The effect on play might be minimized if player could have a
new pickup mode specifying the gp/kg ratio of items to pick up.  So a
player could say pick up everything worth it for the player at this
time.  So a player needing money might still pick up chairs, but not
boulders while a well off player might set it to pick up only relatively
valuable stuff and so might not pick up clubs.

As for continuing to play a character that has found a bug, don't complain
about play balance or that the game is too easy.  A player could also go
back to earlier versions, make super weapons and then still play that
character. There is a presumption that players and DMs modify existing
players to be in line with the modified play balance.

I think carrier characters and apartments are areas that game complexities
could be added to make the game harder.  It does not make sense that one
char could store a large percentage of the world's powerful items without
having many of the world's great characters raiding the player's hoard.
Monsters build strongholds protected by monsters and such to protect
their items.  It might be interesting to have different strongholds for
sale or rent for a player to store items with special feature that player
and members of player's party can pass stronghold's monsters and traps.
So player and friends can store stuff while others could fight their way in.
It does not make a great deal of sense that a char can safely store items
while monsters cannot.

As for carrier characters, as these are presumably low level chars with
many good items, presumably these would be prime targets for thieves.  It
might be interesting to periodically have a thief of level appropriate to
the items/wealth of the character to do a steal attempt on a sleeping
character.  No reason this isn't realistic.  Or maybe a player can
attempt to steal from a sleeping character (a few beds to reality are
occupied by random sleeping chars) and if unsuccessful then when sleeping
char wakes up then he is told who tried to steal from him.  Maybe then
different inns have different priced rooms that provide more protection
(penalties for the stealing attempts).

							sdw