Re: Equipment use and Religons (Was: Re: CF: Priest cannot use weapons)

> Scott writes:
>
> As for gradually giving out the advantages/disadvantages for religons,
> an obvious solution is to say clerical level is also religious level
> [ snip ]

	Yes, I was advocating this. The problem remains on how to hand out
	the "goodies" and restrictions since they will differ on a cult by
	cult basis. Currently, you get all penalties and benefits right off
	the bat from joining.. so how do we implement a reasonable schedule for
	handing these out then? I can think of 2 possbible methods:

	 - assign the schedule in the god's archetype.
	 - randomize the gain of benefits/restrictions. Each level gained/lost
	   would result in a random benefit/restriction that they currently
	   have/dont have. Once all benefits/restrictions are passed out, there
	   is no further change in the character.

	You can probably think of variations on this theme, but these are the
	to orthogonal choices I think.

> A major part of the imbalance of religons is that holy word/orb and so on
> can be pretty potent, but it is so rarely used by monsters.  I don't
> recall ever noticing taking damage from those spells.

	Why are holy word/orb unbalancing? If anything, many people find the
	priests too hard to play (they are *certainly* harder to play than
	wizard types). Which direction are you advocating we balance in?!?

> One of the great challenges of programming is after completing the 'big
> idea' part of a project is to then fill in all of the details that make
> it truly useful.  The details are often considered boring by the programmer
 [ snip ]

	Um, Whats your point here? I mean, having yourself helped work on the
	gods code yourself, what are you trying to say?

	All in all, I think this argument is a bit disingenious. "Big idea's"
	 *rarely*, if ever, can be implemented completely and fully in one go.
	And the god's code was fairly extensively hashed out by myself, Peter, you a
	nd Mark (and comments form the CF list as well). I totally disagree that
	this code is ill-thought out. As with everything, problems and bugs exist,
	so time is needed to adjust playability. I certainly am one to tinker.

							=b.t.