Re: CF: Some possible stealing, Hiding skill changes

> Only change to thief I'd recommend would be to give thief exp
> for a backstab.  and maybe it could be implemented where the hit
> grants immediate exp of say (damage/(monster's hp)*(monster+exp)/2 and
> also deduct that value from monster's exp (isn't monster's exp stored
> as part of it's structure?).  So then a backstab which doesn't kill,
> but damages monster gets exp, but doesn't increase overall exp value
> of killing the monster.

	This sounds ok to me, but its clear that several "failed"
	backstabs will rob the ultimate killer of the xp. But I suggest
	we need something like the AT_DEATH attack at work here. The
	damage from a backstab should always be fairly high (compared to
	the thieve's normal attack) since it is so hard to set up. But
	we dont want to be so generous that the thief can off monsters
	that are quite a bit higher in level.

	Also, it occurs to me that some monsters will be "un-backstabbable".
	Examples include undead, slimes, golems, trees etc. Basically,
	anything that has no vital organs. We will need a new flag for
	some monsters (and this change propigated in adv. cmbt too. You cant
	impale things with no vitals). For creatures w/o vital organs,
	you should still do a bit higher damage (they are caught off
	guard), but the overall damage isnt so high. So then, if a creature
	*does* have vital organs, then lets allow a chance to slay it
	outright, based on a level comparision, eg:

	  % chance slay outright = (thief lvl - mon. lvl + 6) * 3

	 [ eg, monster is 3 lvls higher than thief, then a 9 % chance to
	   slay it outright, IF it has vital organs ]

        But if that fails (or creature lacks those vitals) we still do
	some damage to it as so:

	   thief lvl - mon. lvl		dam mod.
	   ====================		========
		5 or more		  12 x
		3 to 4			  10 x
		1 to 2			   8 x
		0 to -1                    4 x
	        below -1 		   2 x

> Since theiving allows accomplishing goals without fighting and thus
> greatly reduces the difficulty and risk of an accomplishment, thieving
> needs to be hard.

	Well, if you have tried to steal/hide in the current game, its
	pretty challanging. Not fighting isnt a problem for me, if the
	activity replacing it is also as challenging. Exiting gameplay
	is what matters, not the end result (eg. killing not important
	as play balance). Thieving should be at least as hard has fighting
	the monster (i.e. thief and fighter of similar level will have the
	same challenge when facing the monster).

							-b.t.