Re: CF: Changes?

>>I think it would actually be pretty easy to allocate via skill actions.
>>You define a counter for each skill type and in the command logic (or
>>hit logic) increment it for the appropriate skill, and then zero counters
>>every 5 or so minutes (so a char is getting exp based upon recent actions).
>>When there is exp to give then give each char his share and then allocate
>>among skills according to ratio of the skill action counters.

>The problem with this is that you can still use the party system to
>gain experience in a desired category.  Just do something to gain a
>few points (say by using the sense curse skill) while a friend kills
>some horrible beast.  Sure, it requires more work for the players, but
>it still leaves the door open for abuse.

But this is inherent to using partying exp.  If you use partying exp then
people who do little are going to get exp.  If a party cooperates then
there will always be a way for high level chars to help a low level get
exp and I am think that actually makes sense.  As long as the exp ends
up in the right skill, the exp is divided appropriately and maybe
verifying the player is involved in the action (must be on same map as
event to get the exp?) then I think everything is okay.  This is
how one would receive training from high level chars and if a low level
char can find high level chars willing to help train then that low level
char is going to do well.

>I think the overall ratio of experience is a good indicator of how the
>character has been played.  I doubt that too many people dramatically
>change playing style mid-character.

But if character has been played solo for any time then it is likely to
have exp outside of specialty.  So just dividing a player's exp into skill
exp by relative exp is likely to help increase levels outside of specialty.
That doesn't make sense when partying since now char may not be using
other skills at all.  It might make more sense than current allocation,
but that doesn't make it ideal.

							sdw