Re: CF: Changes?

>>Though, it does raise the question of how skills based exp is shared
>>if doing partying exp and is exp being given to chars in skills that
>>don't really deserve it (such as a wizard fireballing a monster, does
>>the fighters of the party get wizard exp or fighter exp?  (by wizard
>>or fighter I mean the role those players are fulfilling as part of the
>>group)).  Maybe the game for partying players should remember the
>>actions of each player (ie count hit, wizard spells cast, priest
>>spells, and so on) and then allocate the player's exp by his activity.
>>So a player casting wizards spells get wiz exp even as other player
>>fighting monster gets physical exp.

>You don't need to add any new record keeping.  Just allocate the
>experience based on the current ratio between the various categories.
>So if a "fighter" has twice the physical experience as his magical
>experience, for every three party points he receives, two go to
>physical, and one goes to magical.  (You could code this by comparing
>the experience in each category to the total experience, but you would
>want to watch out for rounding altering the expected net result.)
>
>That makes sense to me, anyway.
>
>--PC

Allocating just according to current categories would seem to encourage
multi-class generalism.  It is pretty hard to play a char roaming solo
and not get exp in all skills.  I have played a fighter type that had to
unwield weapon to ever cast a spell, but even he ended up with a fair bit
of wizard exp.

I think it would actually be pretty easy to allocate via skill actions.
You define a counter for each skill type and in the command logic (or
hit logic) increment it for the appropriate skill, and then zero counters
every 5 or so minutes (so a char is getting exp based upon recent actions).
When there is exp to give then give each char his share and then allocate
among skills according to ratio of the skill action counters.

A different aspect of party exp is that exp is divided equally among the
players so a low level char partying with high level chars gets a lot
of exp for doing little.  I know some consider this a cheat to get a
low level char several levels safely.  The party exp could be allocated
according to player level or player exp so low level chars wouldn't get
as much as high level chars which make sense.

							sdw