Monster Wis increases (Was: Re: CF: stealing more than once)

>            This is patch to make it possible to steal from a
>             creature more than once, if you are unseen by it.
>
>             It still becomes progressively unlikely that you
>             can keep on stealing, as the creatures wis score
>             (and thus its apbility to detect you) is raised
>             with each attempt.
>
> isn't that a little drastic? won't that eventually mean a monter is
> wandering around with a ridfdiculously high wis?

	As far as Im aware, monster wis is currently just used for
	to determine the ability to detect players. Increasing the
	monster wis to an arbitarily high value means you can't
	ever sneak up on it.

	But, while I was in the tub last night, it occured to me
	that this isnt a very fair situation. I think it might be
	better to limit the monster wis increase to some multiple
	of its intellegence (say wis never gets better than Int or
	a value of 3). Sure, a monster can "wise up" to the tactics
	of the player, but a stupid monster is just only going to
	get so far along the learning curve.

	Incidentily, I plan on using this mechanism (monster wis incr)
	to prevent players from making a horrendously large number of
	attempts to backstab monsters. Surely, a monster, once alerted
	to the existence of an assassin, will be a bit more alert to
	its impending danger.

	Also, using this kind of mechanism puts more of a premimum on
	doing the job right the first time. Repeated attempts should
	just get harder, and more dangerous (and should lead the player
	to consider other courses of action before "backstabbing" again).

							-b.t.