World Maps and "meta-truths" (Was: Re: CF: some examples)

	Im bumping this up to the crossfire mailing list since
	it probably of general interest ...

> David writes:
>
> Great :). Once I'm done with the arch expansion and conversion I'd really
> like to get down to creating a coherent and more complicated (with
> history and story) world that the current one. One part of that is
> creating an expanded worldmap (which is the reason I wrote the
> maputilities), preferably integrating the current detached worldparts
> into actual worldmap locations. If we could standardize on a mapsize it
> would be simple to have different maintainers for the different parts,
> while still allowing (future) travel by ship and/or flight between the
> countries and islands/continents.

	I definitely would like to see a better defined scale
	for all maps. This has been an issue discussed in prior
	times, and, for my part, I would prefer that a consistent
	scale be adopted for "inside", "town", and "countryside"
	adventuring (each has different scale). Making archetypes
	to fit the needs of these different scales is an important
	part of preserving consistency.

	If we want to make the whole world (in maps) then, I think,
	we are talking about adding another "continental" scale,
	and some archetypes should again be developed (eg
	"mountain_chain", etc).

	One problem I have with making "world" maps is that once
	they are made, then we have (potentially) shut out all new
	continental development. I would, for example, like to
	add a new continent of my own design at some point in the
	future. If we make the world maps today, will I get a chance
	to add in my continent at a later date?

	The same condition is relevant for "world history". If the
	design isnt flexible enough, then we potentially have frozen
	out future creative input (a bad thing).

	In terms of world maps/history, I would advocate an open
	design, wherein the "facts" concerning the CF universe
	are few (eg "magic works", "gods exist") but that the truths
	be relative to each "continent".

	How could this be achieved? What the hell does brian mean
	by "truths"? Ok, ok. here's a possible list of "truths" for
	all of the maps in a hypothetical maps/new_continent directory:

	   - continent founded by settlers from another planet

	   - wizard magic is ineffective

	   - only Jehova and Lucifer are active gods (all others dont exist)

	We could design "meta-truth" files that reside in each
	of the maps directories. Each time a map in the given directory
	tree was loaded, the relevant values would be written to
	the map. Meta-truth files would define the 'general' truths
	in all maps in this tree (BUT we allow that any local map
	values take priority over "general" values).

	Here's how the meta-truth file for the /new_continent directory
	could look:

	#define LEGAL_GODS "Jehova Lucifer"
	#define NO_WIZ_MAGIC 1
	#define NPC_BUF "@match history \ Everyone knows this place was settled
	    by aliens from the planet of Oggnoz"

	So, unless we *override* these values in the local map, then all
	maps in the directory tree of /new_continent have these values.
	In the case of NPC_BUF, all monsters that are friendly get the
	buffer appended to their msg buffer. If we had defined the keyword
	of "history" for them already, then the code will pick that up
	*before* getting to the 'general' value we already ascribed.

	Eventually, Id like to see day/night/weather cycles be part
	of the meta-truth files as well as other stuff. Comments?

							-b.t.