CF: XPM problems (don't we all:)

I just picked up crossfire-0.93.4, and I'm having difficulties running it
in XPM mode. The error seems to be in the crossfire.pix.2 file, but
that's all the more information I can get out of running it in verbose
mode. This is the error I get (repeated about 20 times):

  Error code BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)

I'm running X11R6, with the Motif window manager, on a Linux 2.0.x box.
I'm using libXpm0.4.7. I'm starting crossfire like "crossfire -xpm".
I vaguely recall having this problem on an earlier version of crossfire,
and it seems that is had something to do with the Dark red color id...
but I'm not convinced that's the case here, and either way, I can't
recall how I fixed it (or if I did).

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
	Noah