CF: max stats

I'm finding some weird behaviour with the maximum stats.  It seems that you
can actually raise your stats to one point above the limit listed in the
documentation.  Personally, I would rather see the documentation adjusted
than the limits.

Also, I'm finding that sometimes after I die, I am unable to raise my stats
back up.  I've been dieing a lot recently, so some of my stats are a point
or two below the listed max (they used to be all one point above).  Is there
something I'm missing, or is this another bug?

--PC