Re: CF: combat proposal (long)

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Ivan Avramovic wrote:

> As for spicing up combat, I have a suggestion that doesn't involve actually
> changing combat mechanics.  I suggest that instead of using strings telling
> you that you grazed, hit, or killed the enemy, use more dramatic strings like
> "you bloodied the orc", "you pound the zombie into a pulp", etc.

I hate being forced to look at those things, though-- they're nice, but
once you find out that they mean absolutely nothing they're a real pain.

I would enjoy a combat system that was fairly simple to use yet offered
variety.  The original suggestion was amusing enough, but I don't really
think it's sufficient.  For an example, look at Omega.

In Omega, any physical attack (i.e. one delivered by weapon) is delivered
over one of three attack lines: high, medium, or low.  Blocking is also
constrained to those levels.  If a monster attacks high while you're
blocking high you have a chance to block the blow.  To change the way you
attack and block, you use the F command, within which you get to arrange
your attacks (of which you get a limited number, as permitted by your
DEX) as follows:

lunge high (2 attacks)
riposte center (2 attacks)
thrust center (1 attack)
thrust low (1 attack)
block high (1 attack)
block low (1 attack)
  = 8 attacks.  (Omega's maximum.)

As you can see, certain moves use more of your attack points than others,
but produce more interesting effects.  A riposte provides the same
blocking power as a block, but upon success allows you an ordinary attack
down the same line with slightly improved chances.  A lunge is more
powerful than an attack and has a better chance of hitting.  (Both
ripostes and lunges only apply to certain types of weapons.)

Now, certain monsters are limited in how they can attack you (or I should
say that you can defend from several of their lines of attack in only one
of your lines).  As you play you'll notice that (say) an alligator always
attacks low, and so when you go against an alligator you'll always reset
your fighting options to ignore the upper lines (although you can still
attack an alligator from any line).

I think a system like this would do a lot for Crossfire.  It would fit in
well with the general system, and it could easily be made more
automated-- for example, you could gain experience in a "Bladework" skill
every time you learn about a new attack from a different monster (for
instance, when your character first notices that alligators attack only
in the low lines, and goblins attack only in low and center).  The higher
your bladework skill is, the more likely that any familiar attack would
automatically be met with a rearrangement of your bladework.

This could even take the place of normal experience bonuses for fighting!

In addition, it allows for a Verbosity option, so people that like to see
all the words can get full descriptions of the fight:

The orc lunges low.  You parry the plow, and attempt a riposte.  The orc
blocks the riposte.

And so on.

Mixed with the different attack types previously covered, this gives not
only colorful descriptions but also a truly useful, fun, and logical
experience system for fighters.

>                     -Ivan

-Billy