CF: Combat proposal, reponses...

	Wow. Lots of responses about the combat proposal! Nice to
	see :) Unfortunately, there are too many for me to respond
	individually, so here's my (long!) "group" response, sorted
	by subject.

						-b.t.

	FATIGUE:

>  IF you just do normal attacks, will you be hit by fatigue, or is it only
>  normal attacks?

	I would expect fatigue can be lost in 4 ways:
		- making a 'special' attack
		- getting hit in combat
		- by casting incantations.
		- moving with too heavy of a load

	We could add the '5th' case of 'normal' combat too. I would
	think that in this case the fp cost to be fairly low, something
	like your movement fatigue cost+1. This would then make it
	important for a player to not go around fighting 'fully loaded'.
	Under this system, you can still do it, but its going to be a
	very desperate/bad idea. :)

	As for wizards casting spells (which was unmentioned before), fatigue
	cost would be based on the spell being cast versus the caster's
	level, I would expect a formula like:

		fp cost = mana cost * (spell level/caster level).

	So high level wizards need very little effort to cast the
	lower level spells. If you run out of fatigue, then you are
	too exhausted to cast a spell!. No fp cost would be assessed
	for clerical magic.

> I would suggest a close connection between hp and fatigue. The "hp" are
> something silimiar anyway: If a character with 2 of 150 hp's left

	For now, I would like to leave this (largely) alone. I prefer
	the character losing fp equal to the hp (damage) for every
	blow inflicted on the player/npc.

> I would suggest that Con be factored in along with physique experience for
> fatigue calculations.  AFter all, a starting character with a 20 con should

	Yeah, this makes sense to me.

	REPAIRING ARMOUR/WEAPONS:

> The fact that the only way to fully repair magical armor is via the scrolls
> more or less means magic armor isn't really repaired (just recreated).  This
> would seem to weaken the fighters viability some (or usefulness of items -

	I would avocate that the magic value of the armour/weapon
	*doesnt* decrease. Only the wc/ac value does. When the item
	breaks, then we have just (non-magical) shards! but until then
	the item retains its magical properties w/o loss.

> I favor multiple anvil types (or higher required smithing

	Yes! this sounds good. How about sorting the repairs by
	material so that you find in the shops:

	"needle and thread" 	- repairs cloth, leather armour like
				  boots, gloves, shoes, girdles, etc.

	"hammer and saw"	- repairs wooden items like the small sheild.

	"iron anvil"		- fixes iron items like gauntlets, iron
				  sheilds, platemail, swords, axes, etc.

	"enchanted anvil"	- fixes adamantite items like ?? (artifacts?)

	AND We could introduce new skills: "sewing", "woodworking" (carpentry?)
	and "metalsmith" to handle the repair of various items (and co-opt the
	weapon ident abilities currently handled by "smithery" which
	we could eliminate). I suppose there might be a "bonesmith" and
	or "stonesmith" skills out there for the trolls :). Would the
	players have such skills!?

	DAMAGING ARMOUR/WEAPONS:

> or weapon/armor damage, I would suggest using saving throw tables/code.
> After all, a wood club going against metal armor is much more likely to be
> damaged than a metal sword.  Likewise, leather is more likely to be cut apart
> than full plate.

	Yeah, this seems pretty good too. Here's a sketch of how we
	could handle the weapon/armour damaging process:

	  1) assess whether weapon will damage the armour.
	if not,
	  2) assess whether the armour damaged the weapon.

	Formulae for determining breakage would involve a lookup
	table modifier (Mod, see below) based on the 'main' materials
	used in the armour, weapon items and the force of the blow
	which is basically the damage inflicted by the weapon in that
	particular attack (ie dam=RANDOM()%weap_ob->stats.dam):

	Weapon (weap_ob) breaking armour (arm_ob):

	 % chance = dam * [ (2*Mod) - 0.5*(arm_ob->magic - weap_ob->magic) ]

	Armour breaking a weapon:

	 % chance = dam * [ (0.5*Mod) + 0.5*(arm_ob->magic - weap_ob->magic) ]

	So its clear that its easier for a weapon to damage a piece
	of armour than the other way around. On the other hand, we
	should make armour repair cheaper/easier to obtain than
	weapon repair.

	TABLE of modifiers, for 2 things 'attacking' each other:

	ATACKING   |		DEFENDING MATERIAL
	MATERIAL   |
		   | Gls Org Ppr Cth Lea Bne Wod Stn Irn Adm |
	cloth/paper| 0.5 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 |
	 leather   | 0.5 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 |
	 organic   | 0.6 0.4 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 |
 	  glass    | 1.0 2.0 2.0 1.0 0.3 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 |
          bone     | 2.0 1.5 1.5 0.5 0.3 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.0 0.0 |
	  wood	   | 2.2 1.0 0.5 0.3 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.1 0.1 0.0 |
	  stone    | 2.5 1.5 1.0 0.5 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.1 0.0 |
	  iron 	   | 3.0 2.0 1.5 1.0 0.8 0.6 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1 |
	adamantite | 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.0 1.6 1.2 0.8 0.6 0.4 0.2 |

	In the above table I have added the (needed) material
	type of "BONE" (which could incl. 'sharp' stuff like
	'claws' and organic means something like 'muscle').
	We could expand the table to include 'BRONZE' and
	'STEEL', 'GOLD/SILVER', etc. if desired.

	Remember the effects of 'damaging' are:
	  weapon: lose 1 wc up to maximum limit of original wc+magic
	  armour: lose 1 ac up to maximum limit of original ac+magic
	Basically, when the ac+magic+orig ac is *negative* the armour
	destructs. No subtration from the magic value is done.

	Here's some examples:

	* iron mace attacking wood shield, mace dam=10:
     	    -chance to damage armour: 4%
     	    -chance to damage weapon: 0%

	* +3 iron axe attacking +1 wood shield, axe dam=10:
     	    -chance to damage armour: 18%
     	    -chance to damage weapon: 0%

	* +1 iron axe attacking +4 bone shield, axe dam=10:
     	    -chance to damage armour: 0%
     	    -chance to damage weapon: 0%

	and so on...you can see that having those magical bonuses
	*really* helps.

	BLEEDING/STUCK IMPALING WEAPONS:

> I would submit that a weapon can be stuck even if armour
> does not exist.  Consider a spear (especially barbed) stuck in

	Yes, I agree.

> Also, what did you have in mind as far as weapons being
> stuck, particularly non-wielded weapons such as arrows and
> thrown spears?  Perhaps to add them into the inventory of
> the victim in a way alike to "cursed", unremovable until
> ripped out (extra damage) or with medical skill?

	Yes. Exactly what I was thinking!

	ATTACKMODE==>ATTACKTYPES:

	First off..After giving it a little thinking time, It seems
	that the "attack modes" are best handled as just new
	"attacktypes". Therefore, ANY attack can be classified as
	impale, chop, bash, etc. This would make it *very* trivial
	(just edit the spellarchs) to add these new attack types to spells.
	For example, we could add the "bash" attacktype to a "fireball"
	spell so that the target may be blown back by the initial impact.
	as another example, magic missle might have an "impale" attack.

> How about dig type attacks against (golems, living statues,
> earth elementals) and their ilk?

	Sure. But, heh, how do you get a victim to stay still long
	enough to "dig" it? :)
	I see "dig" as an attacktype that will occur only when you
	make a special attack versus an "empty" square, OR a breakable
	wall, OR cast a spell with the dig attacktype that 'detonates'
	in that square (eg the "bomb" spell would leave a crater!).

	ATTACK MANUEVERS:

> In Omega, any physical attack (i.e. one delivered by weapon) is delivered
> over one of three attack lines: high, medium, or low.  Blocking is also
> constrained to those levels.  If a monster attacks high while you're
> blocking high you have a chance to block the blow.  To change the way you
> attack and block, you use the F command, within which you get to arrange

AND

> Idea: Let the player set one or two parameters:
> two: Aggressive - Defensive, Melee - Technical OR:
> one: Aggressive - Technical.

        My first response (from playing omega) is that this isnt much
	fun in the long run. Once you have figured all of the monsters
	out, it amounts to just a formality before you fight.

	On the other hand, I think you (both) are right to point out that
	there are different objectives/manevers for every combat. Therefore,
	I would like to introduce the concept of "attack manuevers":

	An attack manuever would be the way in which you are using
	the weapon. Manuevers would include:

	- swing		: swing the weapon in an arc
	- stab/thrust	: forward in/out quick motion
	- parry		: use the weapon to *exclusively* parry attacks
			  made on the wielder
	- feint		: fake an attack at an area so as to open
			  up another one. High fatigue cost, but more
			  likely to succeed. Fp cost of attack mult
			  by 1 1/2.

	These manuevers would appear as "buttons" in the stat-bar window.
	You could select a manuver either by pressing a button or by
	issuing the command 'use_skill melee <weapon> <manuever> (if
	<weapon> is ommitted, current readied weapon is default).

	Above the manuever buttons we would have a picture of the weapon
	being used. Thus, if you are using 2 weapon skill, you see 2
	weapon archs, and press the weapon displayed to toggle the
	display of the manuever buttons, that show what your manuever is
	on that weapon.

	The attacktype (and effect) of the weapon is dependant on the
	manuever. Consider the following table:

	Attack   |		Weapon has attacktype:
	manuever |
		 |Impale| Cut  | Chop | Bash | Pick | Dig  |Disarm|"None"
  	 swing 	 | ---- | CUT  | CHOP | BASH | IMPL | DIG  | ---- | norm
  	 thrust	 | IMPL | ---- | ---- | ---- | ---- | DIG  | ---- | norm
  	 parry	 | PRY- | PRY  | PRY  | PRY  | PRY- | ---- | PRY  | PRY-
  	 feint	 | IMPL | CUT  | CHOP | BASH | IMP- | ---- | DSRM | norm

	("pick" attacktype is for picks, war-hammers; "None" attacktype
	 is for things with no special attacktype like chair, magnifier.)

	Now, the table entries mean:

 	 norm   'special' attack is the "normal" attack
	 ----   No special attack is allowed, perhaps we make less
		than effective normal attack (?) IF some other attacktype
		(that can use this manuever) isnt present in the weapon.
	 BASH	bashing attack is made.
	 CHOP	chopping attack is made.
	 CUT	cutting attack is made.
	 DIG	digging attack is made.
	 DSRM	disarming attack is made.
	 IMPL	impaling attack is made.
	 IMP-   impaling attack is made, but with a less effective than
		normal chance to hit (and even higher fatigue cost).
	 PRY	parrying
	 PRY-	parrying, but less effective than normal

	So if you have a weapon with *both* the Cut and Impale attack
	types (aka "sword"), if you use the "swing" manuever you will
	make a cutting attack, if you use a "thrust" manuever you will
	make a impaling attack. In the case of a "feint" we make
	either an impale *or* cutting attack (randomly chosen by code;
	in a feint, you can't be sure of what you'll get in this case).

	EXTENDED WEAPONS:

> Hopefully an implementation flexible enough to handle more
> than one length (length 2 in your example) of weapon could

	For now, weapons will only be "extended" (one addtional)
	square) or not extended (normal). Having longer stuff
	leads to serious implementation problems I dont want to
	face. :)

> attacked square) weapons only, I would think that one could attack
>"knight's move" squares in this fashion, given that diagonal

	Well, the main reason I would disagree with allowing this
	is that it would be quite difficult to implement in
	a straitforward way. How does the player indicate to the
	server to make an attack in a "knights move" square? Other
	attacks are just from trying to move into the square, seems
	like something different would be called for here (since
	you currently cant make a "knights move" as a player).

> and to "set" weapons against a charge.
> Someone charging would gain damage bonuses of some
> sort, someone charging into a "set" weapon would
> _experience_ said damage bonuses.  Lines of set pikes.  Ouch.

	Yes! this sounds good. I would allow a "braced" player to
	have "set" their weapon. This means no turning as well
	for the "braced" player.

> It would be nice to be able to shuffle left/right
> (relative to your forward-facing direction) while maintaining such
> a weapon.  Alas, we have only 8+center/here+up+down directions,
> and don't have "turn left/right" directions, which could allow
> simultaneously your sensible idea of having to turn with the
> weapon.   Any thoughts as to how to have both?
>
> Perhaps diagonal directions could be co-opted.  Directional
> movement would translate as "shuffle left/right", whereas
> movement to the left/right (relative to facing) would act
> as you specify.  Or maybe the reverse seems more natural...

	I like your "diagonal" scheme. Ill try to implement that.